Friday, April 2, 2010

Startled

A whole generation of Kashmir's don't speak kashmiri.I was startled to observe that children born in last twenty years are not even able to speak kashmiri.On the other hand children born of kashmiri parents outside kashmir in these years not only speak kashmiri but take pride in speaking kashmiri. Some of these kashmiris have not even seen kashmir. The local boys and girls feel ashamed to speak kashmiri.Where are we going?Can our experts explain this phenomena and tell us what fallout it can have?

1 comment:

  1. I am a Kashmiri Pandit born in Jammu and brought up at Allahabad. My parents understand but don't speak kashmiri, whereas my grand parents did.
    When I started my law practice at Jammu in 1989, I was faced with a dilemma. I couldnot speak and understand Kashmiri and I couldnot speak but understand bits of Dogri/Punjabi. As a result, Jammu people noticed me as a kashmiri and distanced themselves, and Kashmiris found me a Dogra/Punjaeb Kasher and similarly distanced themselves.
    Honestly, I felt sad about not knowing Kashmiri. And what disturbed me more was the attitude I was faced with.
    When I shifted to Mumbai, I found Kashmiris who knew kashmiri, didnot insist their children to know it. But knowing what lies in future I feel and understand the need to know Kashmiri more than ever, and now at the age of 41 am making efforts to teach myself the language.
    I believe that generations get attracted to their roots and value it more only when they are away from it. The sentimental longing kicks in only when a generation faces what I faced. The psychological conduct of humans is circular in its path and a generation's loss will evidently lead to the next generation's gain.

    ReplyDelete